Canterbury Under 19 Men’s Pathway
The path to the U19 National Tournament starts with being nominated for the U19 trials by your respective Sub-Association or District. Should you be nominated by your Sub-Association or District you will be invited to trial by Canterbury Cricket.
Please note this is not a self-nomination process.
- District & Sub-Association contacts:
- South Canterbury – Shane Gilkinson – email@example.com
- Mid Canterbury – Garfield Charles – firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Coast – Jack O’Connor – email@example.com
- Buller –Shaun Stagg – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canterbury Country – Toby Doyle – email@example.com
- Christchurch Metro – Keryn Ambler – firstname.lastname@example.org
Players must be aged 18yrs, or younger, as of September 1st 2016.
How is the U19 Canterbury team selected?
Overseen by the Canterbury Cricket Director of Cricket, Gary Stead, a panel of selectors will select the U19 Canterbury team. The selection panel for 2016/17 is:
- Dion Ebrahim – Canterbury Cricket Performance Squad Coach (Convenor)
- Chris Rowe – District representative
- Ben Rapson – District representative
- Dayle Hadlee – Canterbury Cricket Pace bowling Coach
- Andrew Reid – Canterbury Cricket Talent & Performance ID Coach
Who is coaching the Canterbury U19 team?
The programme will be led by Dion Ebrahim. At the tournament Ben Rapson will be Head Coach and Dayle Hadlee Assistant Coach.
Canterbury Cricket are focussed on investing in players who uphold the values of our organisation (Courage, Respect, and Integrity) and who demonstrate the right personal characteristics for long term success. A primary driver is producing ‘Great players’ through sustainable excellence. Selection criteria at this level will consider the following points (in no particular order):
- On field performances
- Recent playing history
- Playing potential
- Contribution to the team
- On-field/off-field behaviours
When selecting a team, consideration must be made to the balance of the team and the desired mix of batsmen and bowlers. This may be influenced by, but not limited to; match formats, playing conditions, surface, tournament duration, having options to cover various situations.
What can you do?
Canterbury Cricket promotes self-sufficiency from players involved in our programmes. It is expected that players have access to their own e-mail account, and check it daily. Players may be asked to supply statistics, and provide additional information from time to time.
- November 6th – Trial (Hagley Corner)
- November 20th – Trial (Mandeville)
- November 27th – Trial (Hagley Corner)
- November 28th – Canterbury U19 team named
- December 4th – U19 Scrimmage Training (Hagley Corner)
- December 11th – Canterbury U19 v Canterbury Country XI (Sefton)
- December 13th – Nets/fielding (venue tbc)
- December 15th-23rd – U19 National Tournament (Lincoln, Christchurch)
- 15th v Wellington, Lincoln no.3
- 16th v Northern Districts, Lincoln Green
- 17th v Otago, Lincoln no.3
- 18th REST DAY
- 19th v Auckland, Lincoln Green
- 20th v Central Districts, Bert Sutcliffe Oval
- 21st REST DAY
- 22nd Play-off stage
- 23rd Play-off stage
There will be a levy per player for these matches of $439.88 incl. GST (which includes a 10% prompt payment discount). This will assist Canterbury Cricket in recovering costs incurred through your participation in this tournament. These costs include:
- Umpires and Scorers
- Cricket Balls
- Shared Tournament Costs
Canterbury Cricket subsidise over 70% of the total costs for this team. Payment can be made either on or before Monday 12th December by internet banking to Canterbury Cricket Association’s bank account 06 0801 0503783 00, (please use player name and team as reference). If you pay the levy in full on or before Monday 12 December you will be eligible for a 10% discount.
Without the discount the total cost would be $488.80 incl. GST, OR you can take up the option of paying in two equal instalments of $244.40 on or before the following dates: December 12 and January 12.
Should you have any difficulty paying the player levy please contact Trudy Anderson at Canterbury Cricket on (03) 928-1238 for alternate payment options. (Note: Should you have any outstanding levies from Canterbury winter training squads or previous Canterbury teams you will not be able to participate in these matches until these are paid in full).
Where to from here? (JPS/SPS)
For further training and playing opportunities throughout February and March 2017, players may be selected into the Canterbury Cricket Junior Performance Squad (JPS) or Senior Performance Squad (SPS). Found out more information here.