U17 Pathway – Male
The path to the U17 National Tournament starts with gaining selection into the U17 Regional Tournament. Here, a player will trial with their local District or Sub-Association (South Canterbury, Mid-Canterbury, West Coast, Buller, Canterbury Country, Christchurch Metro) which may involve net trials and/or trial matches. At this level it is generally a self-nomination process. Contact your respective District or Sub-Association for key dates and trial information.
- South Canterbury – Shane Gilkinson –firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mid Canterbury – Garfield Charles – email@example.com
- West Coast – Jack O’Connor – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Buller – Shaun Stagg – email@example.com
- Canterbury Country – Toby Doyle – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christchurch Metro – Keryn Ambler – email@example.com
Players must be aged 16yrs, or younger, as of September 1st 2016.
How is the U17 Canterbury team selected?
Overseen by the Canterbury Cricket Director of Cricket, Gary Stead, a panel of selectors will select the U17 Canterbury team. The selection panel for 2016/17 is:
- Andrew Reid (Convenor) – Canterbury Cricket Talent & Performance ID Coach
- Dion Ebrahim – Canterbury Cricket Performance Squad Coach
- District representative tbc
- District representative tbc
The selection panel will also approach each coach at the U17 Regional Tournament as part of the selection process.
The Secondary Schools Boys 1st XI Cup (formerly Gillette Cup) typically runs at the same time as the U17 Regional Tournament. Since the 1st XI Cup is held in Christchurch, Canterbury Cricket selectors will observe eligible players as part of the selection process.
Who is coaching the Canterbury U17 team?
The Head Coach is Dion Ebrahim, and the Assistant Coach is Andrew Reid.
Canterbury Cricket are focussed on investing in players who uphold the values of our organisation (Courage, Respect, and Integrity) and who demonstrate the right personal characteristics for long-term success. A primary driver is producing ‘Great players’ through sustainable excellence. Selection criteria at this level will consider the following points (in no particular order):
- On-field performances
- Recent playing history
- Playing potential
- Contribution to the team
- On-field/off-field behaviours
When selecting a team, consideration must be made to the balance of the team and the desired mix of batsmen and bowlers. This may be influenced by, but not limited to; match formats, playing conditions, surface, tournament duration, having options to cover various situations.
What can you do?
Canterbury Cricket promotes self-sufficiency from players involved in our programmes. It is expected that players have access to their own e-mail account, and check it daily. Players may be asked to supply statistics, and provide additional information from time to time.
- December 5-9 – U17 Regional Tournament (Canterbury Country)
- December 5-9 – Secondary Schools Boys 1st XI Cup (Lincoln, Christchurch)
- December 9 – U17 Canterbury team named
- December 18 – Training (venue tbc)
- January 5 – Canterbury U17 v USA U18 (venue tbc)
- January 7 – Canterbury U17 v USA U18 (venue tbc)
- January 11 – Training (Mandeville)
- January 13-21 – U17 National Tournament (Lincoln, Christchurch)
- 13th/14th v Otago (2-day), Lincoln no.3
- 15th/16th v Wellington (2-day), Lincoln Green
- 17th REST DAY
- 18th v Central Districts (1-day), Lincoln Green
- 19th v Northern Districts (1-day), Lincoln no.3
- 20th v Auckland (1-day), Bert Sutcliffe Oval
- 21st v Northern Districts (1-day), Bert Sutcliffe Oval
There will be a levy per player for these matches of $434.70 incl. GST. This will assist Canterbury Cricket in recovering costs incurred through your participation in this tournament. These costs include:
- Umpires and Scorers
- Cricket Balls
- Shared Tournament Costs
Canterbury Cricket subsidise over 70% of the total costs for this team. Payment can be made either on or before 9 January by internet banking to Canterbury Cricket Association’s bank account 06 0801 0503783 00, (please use player name and team as reference). If you pay the levy in full on or before Monday 9 January you will be eligible for a 10% discount i.e. total cost would be $483.00 incl. GST, OR you can take up the option of paying in two equal instalments of $241.50 on or before the following dates: January 9 and February 9.
Should you have any difficulty paying the player levy please contact Trudy Anderson at Canterbury Cricket on (03) 928-1238 ext. 702 for alternate payment options. (Note: Should you have any outstanding levies from Canterbury winter training squads or previous Canterbury teams you will not be able to participate in these matches until these are paid in full).
What if I don’t get selected in the U17 Canterbury team?
The new Canterbury Cricket U17 Tri-series will involve players from U17s, U15s and South Island Primary Schools Tournament. Click here for more information
Where to from here? (JPS/SPS)
For further training and playing opportunities, players may be selected into the Canterbury Cricket Junior Performance Squad (JPS) or Senior Performance Squad (SPS). Click here for more information